Sunday, January 11, 2009

Halter Training

Yesterday I spent some time halter training the fall crias. This was the 3rd time for each to wear a halter in their 4 months. The plan was to spend 10 minutes each and have them get used to wearing the halter and realize it won't hurt them. I have 2 crias with 2 very different reactions...

Alpacamundo's Augustus: Fought a bit then calmed down, stood still and followed the lead around the corral a couple of times. When I removed the halter he hung around a bit then went to the hay bin next to his mother.



Alpacamundo's Daisy (aka The Drama Queen): Bucked, reared, repeatedly threw herself on the ground and finally cushed for a few minutes. When I removed her halter she went directly to her mom and started nursing.

I'm pleased with their progress, but know we will spend most visits this winter working with the halters

No comments: