Friday, May 21, 2010

Fiber Arts Friday - Duck Feet

I think it's best to minimize the variables when learning new skills.  Since these Duck Feet are my first pair of socks and the pattern has a long list of new to me stitches and cast on methods, I decided to use a commercial yarn.  I also figured machine washable would be a good choice for baby socks.

I went over to my new favorite local yarn shop, My Sister Knits, and found a pale yellow, machine washable, merino yarn along with the appropriate #2 sized tools.


While we were talking about the different needles, I told the lady at the shop that I was going to make my first pair of socks.  She said, "If you can read, socks are easy..." I had to laugh, because that's the same advice I gave my sister about cooking.

I came home, updated my Ravelry inventory, then opened up YouTube to learn how to do the following:
  • Judy's Magic Cast On
  • Turkish Cast On
  • Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off
  • RLI
  • LLI
  • S2KP
Being a recovering engineer, following instructions are not always my strong point.  So I find knitting to be a good exercise for me.  If you can read (and follow instructions), you can knit.  Right?

The instructions suggest using 2 circular needles, but that 2 double-pointed needles will also work.


I am now at the widest point of the first sock.  It feels a little tight as I reach the end of each row, but since the sock gets narrower from here, I am going to finish with the dpns.

I can't wait to see what it looks like.

Happy Fiber Arts Friday.

5 comments:

Dutch Hollow said...

Whoo hoo! Way to go, I still haven't figured out how to knit but learned crochet via youtube so maybe I should try my hand at knitting the same way. Can't wait to see your socks.

Allison said...

Those duck feet socks are cute! What fun for your first sock project. Isn't the internet great for learning fiber art skills.

AllyB said...

Love the yarn color. Those duck feet are super cute. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project. Happy FAF!

Anonymous said...

Good job! The little duck feet look adorable, and you learned a LOT of new skills!

Jess

WonderWhyGal said...

It's great that you are learning some new parts to knitting while making these socks. They will be a wonderful gift for you with your new skills plus to your special someone.