Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Solving Problems: Preferred Content

I subscribe to a lot of blogs via RSS.

I like the convenience of it.  It's passive.  My email isn't full of blog posts.  I can see what's been posted to recently and read in any order I choose.

The down side to RSS is that I don't always have a strong enough connection to receive the feeds when I'm travelling and the RSS subscription is specific to one computer.

Solutions other than RSS:

Email Subscription.  Initially this was my preferred method of subscribing, but I already mentioned I like having less in my email.

Google Reader.  I understand there might be some Phone Apps that work with Google Reader for when you're "on the go,"  but I don't like Google Reader.  Perhaps I don't know how to use all of the "features," so I might be willing to give it a try again.

Links from my blog.  My solution was to create a list of some favorite blogs on the Kathryn's Brain home page.  You'll see them if you scroll down a bit on the right sidebar.  --->

What's your solution?  How do you keep up with your preferred content when you are away?  Or do you?

4 comments:

WonderWhyGal said...

I have to admit that I don't like reading blogs from my phone. Fortunately I always have my laptop with me.

I have a huge list of blogs I follow and I use my blog roll from the dashboard to get caught up.

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

AWW! I'm on the list! Thank yoou!! You'd totally be on my list too. I haven't kept up my list in forever. :( I use the blogger dashboard to keep up with mine. :)

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I wasn't a fan of Google Reader at first but I got fed up with Bloglines a few years ago and that seemed like the only reliable option at the time. I used to use Sage, a plug-in for FireFox, but it was computer specific. By going with Google I can read the blogs on my phone using ByLines (I'm using the freebie version right now). I used to use MobileRSS (paid version) but they had changed how some functions worked and I felt it was for the worse. They have updated since then and I believe they reverted back to at least some of the old functionality but I haven't tried it.

Reading on the phone is a bit awkward for those blogs that don't publish their full posts in their feeds (like me, but I had problems in the past with websites republishing from my feed as if it were their content). I do like to sync Bylines when I'm on WiFi if I can. Then you can read without any signal as it caches the unread posts for you so you can catch up on the plane! (Again where the partial feeds are a bit annoying, but you could put all those into one folder so you didn't bother trying to read them except when you have a connection).

Thanks for including me on your list! :-)

oak haven alpacas said...

I keep a list of all the blogs I follow on my blog. It updates when a new post has been published so I know to go check it out. This works well for me.

Cara