Sunday, January 23, 2011

Making Stuff: Skirting Table

I've wanted to make a skirting table for quite sometime.  So finally, I picked up the supplies and put it together.  But before we get too far, I feel I must apologize to anyone who is a skilled wood worker.

I have no delusions regarding my wood working skills.  This project is not square, nor is it plumb.  It does not have any rabbits or dove tails.  No milling, sanding or staining was done.  This project is functional, but in no way should it be considered beautiful.  :-)


The finished skirting table sits across two folding tables.


L-brackets hold the frame together.


Two hinges hold both frames together.


Welded wire fabric is folded over and stapled to the frame.  Handles are screwed down over the top.


Folded up for storage.


Holding our largest alpaca fleece.

Hopefully next weekend will be warm enough to begin skirting the fleeces I mentioned last week.  :-)

Supplies
4 pieces of 4ft 1x2 wood board
4 pieces of 2ft 1x2 wood board
16 sq ft of wire fabric plus extra for attaching to the wood frame
16 L shaped brackets
2 hinges
2 handles
screws
staples

Tools
hand saw
staple gun
screw driver
tape measure
wire cutters

Time Spent
10 minutes drawing a sketch and making a list of supplies
1 hour selecting the supplies at the local home store.
2 hours putting it together

9 comments:

Melissa Plank said...

Nice Job! I love it, plus it's very practical since you can fold it smaller, it looks nice and sturdy. I think you have secret wood working skills!

WonderWhyGal said...

The one I use for fiber sorting is very similar and I bought it. Mine used the legs from an actual folding table, like the ones you have in the photo and dowels to hold up the other side so when it folds, it's still all compact. I take mine to all the farms that hire me.

Great job!

Kathryn Ray said...

@Melissa - Thanks, but it only looks good because of my mad photography skillz. Bwahahaha.

@WWG - Your table sounds neat. Free-standing is a good idea.

Unknown said...

http://www2.greene-news.com/news/2009/sep/23/fiber_mill_featured_during_alpaca_farm_tour_event-ar-312546/



A friend of mine had the same issue so she and her husband built their own fiber mill for folks with small amounts of fiber.
http://www.valpaca.com/kearney.html

AllyB said...

You've got some skilz! That is a great functional tool. You should be proud of your design and workwomanship.

Kathryn Ray said...

Thanks AllyB. :-D

Kathryn Ray said...

@Patricia - thank you for the links.

Unknown said...

Do you have.issues with the fur getting stuck in the metal screens?

Kathryn said...

@Kristin - no, I don't have any issues with fur or fleece getting stuck in the screens. I think the key is to have the mesh small and smooth.