Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Giving Handmade

Last weekend, I had the privilege of giving my hand-knit plumber sweater to our neighbor.

I had worked on it for what seemed like an eternity and was both thrilled and stunned to be finished.  Then I felt a little sad to think about giving it away.  However, as I became comfortable with the idea that the sweater was finished, I became excited to give it away.

I have given away most of my hand-knits, so I was a little surprised by the range of my feelings.  I think it's because handmade items have a piece of us in them.  It is scary to give away something you have poured yourself into.  There is always the question of whether they will like it or whether they will appreciate it.  That's a big place for fear to settle in and grow.

Hubba was super excited about the sweater being complete and ready to give to our neighbor so I let him call to see about a good time to stop over.  Our neighbor offered to stop by our place on his way out so Hubba told him "Great!  We have something for you to look at anyway."

As he came in the door, I assured him we did not have any plumbing for him to look at.  I told him how he's been a great neighbor and I wanted to say Thank You.  He was touched and the sweater fits perfectly.

My heart is full of joy.

No comments: