Sunday, July 10, 2011

First Harvest!

Yep.  We had our first


and second harvest this week.

.
These are (of course) zucchini, straight neck yellow squash, teeny-tiny beets and one pathetic jalapeno.

So far we've just eaten them raw on a salad and in wraps with grilled chicken.  So delicious.  :-)

I'm really excited about how my garden is doing.  This is my row of tomatoes.  :-)


I could have planted the squash further apart.  My spaghetti squash wants to take over the entire space and the zucchinis and yellows are pretty close together right now too.


Also next year, I am thinking about making one row of beets and spreading the seeds out more.  They came out of the pouch a bit faster than I expected.  ;-)  So this year they are jam-packed and therefore small.

On the grub front, I've been chatting with my cousin a bit about ginea hens.  She has both ginea hens and chickens and says the gineas will not destroy the garden like chickens do.  So we're thinking about it.  But after the raccoon adventure a few weeks ago, I want to be certain we give the birds (if we get them) a safe place to roost.

Our neighbor set out a bunch of lady bugs, so we've been seeing a lot of them and there was an interesting spider.


I'm not sure what's going on with our 2nd pear tree.  I'm hoping this is a result of the huge hail storm we had about a month ago.


And one last photo because our peaches are growing very well.  :-)


I hope you have a great week.  :-)

4 comments:

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Yum! It all looks delicious

WonderWhyGal said...

What time is dinner?

Spinster Beth said...

Your squash looks great! I grew 8-ball this year, and they aren't doing as well as they have in previous years. Hope your jalapenos perk up!

Kathryn Ray said...

I used to grow squash in New Mexico, but this is definately the best crop we've ever had. It's the alpaca manure. ;-)

I don't have much hope for the chiles though. Next year, I will put them in another location... so they can be watered less than the tomatoes.