Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Hay has been Put Up

There are two events that cause me to do a deep clean on my barn...  Shearing Day and Hay Delivery Day.

We keep the barn pretty well swept and organized, but when it comes to these two events, the barn gets re-organized and completely swept out.  Yesterday was no different.


I decided when I had to buy hay in April that from now on I would plan to buy a year's supply in August/September.  This is the time when the quality and prices are best.  It's good to know that I can buy hay in the winter if the need arises, but it's always better to get what you want when it's at it's peak.

I was down to two bales of hay and less than one bale of alfalfa... about a week's supply.  So I was thrilled that the Feed Store was able to deliver on Friday.

The nice boys brought their fully-loaded flat-bed and stacked it all for us.  It took them only about an hour to unload and stack 122 big-small bales (90 lbs each) of Timothy Grass and 50 small bales (65 lbs each) of Alfalfa.


The girls were happy to see there was plenty of food available for the coming winter.


Of course I am happy too.  A fully-stocked barn makes for a happy farmer.  :-)

6 comments:

Sarah {The Student Knitter} said...

YAY! It all looks so clean and pretty!

Spinster Beth said...

I have a just-out-of-curiousity question. Does the doggy stay in with the alpacas all the time? Does she have a door so she can come and go as she pleases?

Kathryn Ray said...

@Beth - the puppies are staying with the alpacas most of the time.

We're still bringing them in at night and during thunder storms. We are also trying to make sure they're well socialized with other dogs and people off the propery.

Once we complete some fence revisions they will have access to the bulk of the property.

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Kathryn,
Looks like a big job. I have a question. How long will that hay and Alfalfa last? The Alpacas look so pretty and fluffy.
Smiles, Paula

Kathryn Ray said...

Hi Paula - the hay and alfalfa should last into next August.

Voie de Vie said...

I love the eager onlookers. They're happy about that Friday delivery too. :)