Monday, August 1, 2011

Tomatoes are Turning Red!


We haven't had much rain and it's been very hot over the last couple of weeks which means many of my plants have been looking wilty.  So I've been giving each a good personal soak.


The sunflower is more than 5.5 feet tall and we continue to harvest yellow squash and zucchini.  In fact, there has been so much squash that I'm  not sure I can give any more away without alienating my friends.  ;-)  So I'm thinking about drying some.  The blanching and freezing that I did last year was not great and there's only so much zucchini bread that one can make.

I decided to put my weeding efforts elsewhere last week so my veggie garden is looking a little rough.


We planted 9 trees this past spring and put fencing around the smaller ones to protect them from teething puppies and lawn mowers.  I promise there is a pine tree behind that wall of weeds.


I weeded around each of the new trees then added a generous amount of alpaca manure.

Next up is the front flower garden.  Of course, I use the terms flower and garden loosely.


Hubba has been diligently weeding over the last few weeks.  Between the Mint  and Thistle this space has been a huge disaster area.  Seriously folks, please don't plant Mint anywhere except a container. Pleeeeaaase.

7 comments:

Voie de Vie said...

Those tomatoes are going to be good! And lol about the mint. :)

Unknown said...

Oh the mint... Nothing will kill it! You can leave it in a pot outside all winter in freezing temps, not water it, and still it will spring back to life. It's like the undead herb. Never mind eradicating it from the flower beds.

Heather Woollove said...

If you can stand heating up your kitchen, peel and slice the squash into rounds and roast it on an olive-oil greased pan at 425 until
it's shriveled and nearly dry. They can be frozen then and served with tortellini and fresh parmesan for a quick and yummy dinner. XXO-

Spinster Beth said...

I learned the hard way that mint and strawberries are best left to containers!

Hope you get lots of delicious tomatoes!

Kathryn Ray said...

Oooo, I like the idea of tortellini, zucchini and parmesan.

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Kathryn:
I love the photos of your garden and the landscape around your home. I love gardening and getting my hand dirty. It is the off season for gardening down here in Florida. I will be starting a new garden at the beginning of September. I make smoothies for my family and sneak in a zucchini with the fruit. One way to get rid of a few zucchinis. Have a awesome day.
Smiles, Paula

Kathryn Ray said...

Thanks Paula. Putting zucchini in a smoothie is a good idea.