Tuesday, September 6, 2011

400 days?

I've been reading some forum posts that indicate maidens can have a gestation period of more than 400 days.

Four Hundred Days!

That's more than 13 months.

Frieda and Daisy: Still Pregnant

We are currently at days 370 and 371.  Which is just over 3 weeks past due or 12 months and one week of gestation so far. Ugh.

Daisy has given me false hope several times over the last few weeks but Frieda has been pretty much normal.

They're doing all of the normal late-term things... standing over the poop pile with nothing going on, laying with their legs out to the side, cushing on their haunches, hanging out alone or near the gate.  Their bellies are very firm and quite round.  Today's exam indicates no change.  So I have a call into our vet.  It's time for a professional opinion regarding our status.

3 comments:

Alittlebitsheepish said...

Argh! Don't they understand we need to see those little cuties?!

Paula said...

STILL no babies? Jeez. I'm so looking forward to some baby pictures! And, it's fantastic that you're in CO! I didn't notice the first time I visited your blog. That's so cool! Yay for knitting (distant) neighbors. :)

oak haven alpacas said...

I've heard that too. So very hard to wait. I think our longest has been 374 days, that was bad enough, I can't imagine 400.

I think the hardest part is that they seem like they might in labor, so you sit and hope and dream they are, but no, false alarm, and now the day is half over. We've canceled more plans over we "thought" one was in labor than when one was really in labor.

I hope your cria are here very soon.

Cara