Monday, December 12, 2011

No Christmas Knitting

I was feeling quite proud of myself...

Several months ago I had decided there would be only one, perhaps two knitting projects for Christmas. The Christmas related knitting stress would be very small and I hadn't attached much expectation to either project.

Things have been (extremely) busy at my day job and I haven't had much extra mental capacity for quite some time. So I felt this was the best plan.

Now, a few months later, the primary project's current status is "lame." It needs to be deeper and bigger. I don't have enough interest in making the corrections now, so it has been shelved and may be resurrected for next year.

The second project was started and f-d up, re-started and f-d up again. I've decided the yarn I selected was not the best choice, so it has also been shelved as well.

Therefore, there are no knitted gifts from me this year and frankly, I feel ok about it.

8 comments:

Its_lily said...

Me too. None, nope, not one knitted object for the holidays this year. But the gifts I chose to give speak volumns about each recipient. I put the 'Done' stamp on the final project just this afternoon so it's time to grab a glass of wine, kick my feet up and sit by the fire while I wait for the snow. Ahhhh, feels so good.

Paula said...

Me three. It feels strange to be knitting a sweater and mittens for myself in the middle of December, but I think I quite like it. Maybe next year... ;)

oak haven alpacas said...

I did the same, no knitted stuff this year. We gave quite a bit away last year, and I too didn't want the added stress this time of year. I decided the only way I will give knitted stuff for Christmas is if it's completed before Thanksgiving (in which case I should start it in July).

Cara

Kathryn Ray said...

It's amazing. I made the decision to shelve both yesterday and cast on something for me that I've wanted to do for quite a while... it's almost indulgent to knit for me and only me with no deadlines. :-)

@Cara - I like that idea of being done by Thanksgiving. I have to keep that one in mind.

WonderWhyGal said...

I have some woven gifts but...no knitted. The items I made were made over the last few months so no holiday stress.

Don't worry about it...part of the joy in giving is the making which means no stress.

Alittlebitsheepish said...

I made a few things months back, and was feeling all smug, but now I find myself slipping down the "I could just make that one little thing" slope with only a week to go

Kathryn Ray said...

@alittlebitsheepish - it is easy to fall into that trap. I almost succumbed myself, even after I wrote this post yesterday.

Voie de Vie said...

Good on you to go with your gut ... and you feel so much better about it.

I actually like making holiday gifts. Doesn't mean they'll all be received by 12/25, but I'm fine with that. :)