Friday, February 3, 2012

Fiber Arts Friday: Felting the Big Hat

Hubba liked the Big Hat.  It was a little loose, but it wasn't ridiculous.

He wore it for a couple of days.  I thought I was ok with it, but as your comments came in last week, it made me want to felt it even more.

So I took Hubba yarn shopping.  :-)

It's true.  He actually went with me into a yarn store and chose a yarn he would like to have a hat made out of.... so one day, he will have a different hat.  But don't worry about his head getting cold.  He already has an alpaca hat that fits him properly and a cotton hat that he loves but I dislike very much.  :-)


So I attempted to felt the Big Hat in a bucket of hot soapy water.  All it really did was slosh soapy water all over my feet.  :-/

While Sunday was a very nice day, it is still winter so I wasn't keen on getting myself sopping wet.  So I set it aside.

The next day I ran it through the wash with a load of towels... which brought horror to my knitting group's eyes.  But it worked.


The hat is thick and sturdy.  It fits suggly.  It perhaps could have been a tiny bit longer.  Which has me thinking about making another big hat.

I'm calling this one a good save.  :-)

Oh, and I no longer have to figure out how to take a photo of me in the mirror...


:-)

Happy Fiber Arts Friday!  Be certain to check in with everyone else over at Wisdom Begins in Wonder.

16 comments:

Its_Lily said...

That's a fabulous save! And I love my felted items with all their warmth and thickness. Feels so good....

pinkundine said...

Yay, it worked :) It looks fab too, especially with your gorgeous hair to show it off ;)

Heather Woollove said...

Hahaha...much better!! It's adorable now!

Melissa said...

Wonderful save...should be very warm.

Melissa Plank said...

It turned out so cute, I'm still giggling over your knitting groups "horror" Have a wonderful week!

Voie de Vie said...

Most excellent! I like how it turned out. And those knitting group kniters - no sense of adventure. :)

Kathryn Ray said...

Oh no, they are very skilled and full of wisdom. They were concerned about the dye getting on my towels and the hat being way too small. :-)

Vivian said...

Hey it worked, that's all it matters ;-)

Buying yarn? Shouldn't you spin from your own alpacas? It might take a little longer tho.

Have a good weekend!

Kathryn Ray said...

hahaha, I did not buy alpaca yarn.
:-)

Andria said...

I think felting in the washing machine is awesome, I don't have the patience for a lot of hand felting. Well, I don't have patience for much. I think your hat looks great!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! That is a really wonderful hat and you made me want to try the same! I loved your latest posts with the bigger hat and your dogs!
x Teje

WonderWhyGal said...

It looks great on you. So glad that it felted in to a size that you wanted...and that your husband went yarn shopping with you.

Jocelyn said...

ftw

Alittlebitsheepish said...

It looks great, and good work on getting your husband to choose yarn

AllyB said...

What a great head. Where did you find it? The hat is very nice. I did the washer thing to my loafers too and it was a bit scary but I figured I didn't have anything to lose. Trusting in yourself and taking a chance can give you surprising results. Hope you're not buried in snow.

AC said...

Yay! I'm so glad it worked!