Tuesday, July 10, 2012

One Lovely Blog Award

Kara at The Practical Frog Blog popped over yesterday several days more than a week ago to award me with the "One Lovely Blog Award". Which made my day!

I learned about Kara thru the Slow Living Community.  I subscribed to her blog the first time I read it.  :-)

One of the things that strikes me about Kara is how she appears to have boundless energy.  I'm a busy person, but I think she is much busier than I am.  She's a student, has a few different jobs and leads her family down the path of greener living.  From where I sit, I think she must be pretty remarkable.  :-)

I do wonder where the name Practical Frog came from though.  I've done a little poking around and so far, I haven't figured it out.  ;-)

In order to accept the award, there are a number of things one must do...

1 – Show your Thanks – Thank the person who awarded the honor and link back to them

2 - Share seven things about yourself.

3 – Nominate up to 15 Blogs that you admire.

4 – Contact the Bloggers by leaving comments with them about their Awards

So first, the interesting things about myself:
  • It's been a while since I've written about it... mostly because it's been a while since I've done it... I used to be an Adaptive Ski Instructor in Santa Fe, New Mexico.  I was a member of an all volunteer organization that taught private adaptive alpine ski lessons.  Each student was paired with one or two instructors for six weeks of classes.  In addition to my students, I taught the other instructors 3- and 4-track techniques.  I loved it very much.
  • Since I mostly grew up in Colorado, I've been on alpine skis since I was 10 or 11 years old.  But haven't been on them since we got our alpacas.  Just having too much fun.  :-)
  • Hubba was an avid alpine skier when we met and regular skiing was part of our plan.  We skied a lot together in the early days.  If I wasn't skiing with him, or working with students, I skied alone.  I love skiing.  Hubba has been on a ski moratorium since he started road racing several years ago.  A shoulder injury could sideline his racing career.  Although, now that we are definitely not going to London this year, I think there's a very good chance we will put wax to snow this winter.  We both really miss it.
  • There were lots of professions I wanted to have when I grew up, but I have always wanted to be a farmer.
  • I'm not really a fan of politics, but could see myself as a lobbyist... for the right issue.
  • My first job as a professional engineer was working on the Space Shuttle.  Something I am and will always be very proud of.
  • I have fresh-cut lilies in my kitchen so my house smells amazing right now.
On to the blogs I admire:

15 is a very long list, so here are a few blogs that I really enjoy and haven't mentioned in a while.  They are all written by people I admire.  While I have only met one of these women in person, I consider all of them friends. :-)
  • Voie de Vie - Denise is an artist with a crochet hook, paints and other fun things.  She will not knit socks.  She says, nope, not ever!  I still adore her.
  • Wisdom Begins in Wonder - The WonderWhyGal is the current host of Fiber Arts Friday and commented on my very first FAF post almost 3 years ago.  She's an alpaca breeder, fiber sorter, spinner, knitter, weaver.  I haven't met her in person, but I feel we've been friends for a long time.
  • Spinster Beth - spinner, knitter, gardener, kitty and puppy momma and former Marine a Navy Veteran. (if I remember that correctly).  My very first, and currently only pair, of hand-knit socks were made by Beth.  I feel very blessed.
  • AllyB That's Me! - Ally is a beautiful spinner and sock knitter.  I know she knits other things, but she is very prolific with those socks.  And she finishes every post with a comment from Little Dog that always makes me giggle.
  • Bits and Pieces - Vivian is especially talented with a pair of knitting needles.  She has an affiknitty for cables and a sweet little Rascal.
  • Broken Clay - I met Katja through Hubba a couple of years ago.  She's an engineer, travelling maven, athlete and very funny, well-written person.  I don't know that she's a knitter, or spinner or crocheter but that doesn't mean I like her any less.  ;-)
So there you go.  I hope you take some time to visit these amazing women.

9 comments:

Mary said...

That is nice to hear of your experiences..you are a giving type, I think. Your list of fav blogs show a trend, and they are lucky to be your blog friend.

Voie de Vie said...

lol! ... and the feeling's mutual. Congrats on the bloggy award.

And I hope you and hubba do get on those skies again this year. I don't know about me and skiing - but I expect if I had the opportunity to try again (and take a lesson!) it might work out differently for my butt. :) I do love to ice skate, though.

Kathryn Ray said...

@Mary - you always leave the nicest comments. :-)

@VdV - lessons are a good thing. And since you skate you already understand the most important thing about skiing... BoB (Butt over Boots) ;-)

Katja said...

Like the lilies of the field, I neither spin nor knit (nor weave)...I have been known to crochet, though.

Spinster Beth said...

Thank you for the shout-out, and the opportunity to answer and pass on the award! (BTW, I'm a Navy veteran :-)

Kathryn Ray said...

@Beth - oops, fixed now. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kathryn!
Glad you liked the award!! You deserve it - I really enjoy popping over to see what you and yours are up to!

The answer to your query is quite simple - My surname has the word Frog in it. My husband is known as Frog or Froggy to a lot of people - Technically then I should be Frogg-ette!

Enjoy your award! I'm off to meet some more incredible woman! - Kara x

WonderWhyGal said...

Ah, thank you so very much.

I promise I will write my response after I get through tomorrow's FAF post.

Maryjane said...

Hi Kathryn- you inspired me with your post! Just always take care when skiing. Thanks for a share!