Sunday, January 27, 2013

Garden: In January, 2013

After a couple weeks of highs below freezing, we've had some really nice weather for the last week or so.  It hardly feels like January.  Although it is normal to have dry, warm and sunny days in the winter.  It is certainly one of the perks of living in Colorado.

One of my favorite things about January is that the trees begin to make their preparations for spring.  They won't be leafing out until at least March, but I've noticed that in mid- January they start to look like this....


A promise of things to come?

Instead of collecting the spent hay and alpaca manure into piles, I have been spreading them over both gardens this winter.  The front garden is about 1/3 covered...


And the back garden is nearly finished.


I plan to till everything together in mid-March when it should be safe to plant the early-season seeds.

I completed my planting list, took inventory and placed my seed order this week.  There are a few live plants I will pick up when we get closer to planting.  It's pretty amazing to think we'll be planting in less than 2 months.  :-)

3 comments:

oak haven alpacas said...

One winter I put all our scooped up poop into the garden area. Then early spring we changed plans. Instead of putting a garden there, we decided it was the best place for another alpaca shelter and paddock (in the big picture). Oh the horror of having to move it all again! I tell my kids those times are character building :)

Kathryn Ray said...

lol. Character-building, for sure!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I'm so smitten with your garden situation!

We took advantage of the unseasonably warm temps this weekend and biked to Old Town and back yesterday for about 9 miles total. That was kind of mind boggling to my northern blood to think about biking in January :-)